Protecting Your Password
Never reveal your password to anyone that you don't want to have access to your account. You can further safeguard your account information by following these guidelines:
- Never write your password down and leave it where someone else could find it and use it.
- Change your password on a regular basis.
- Make sure to Sign Off to end each Online Banking or Mobile Banking session. Do not use the Back button to exit the site.
- Establish login alerts/notifications from Online Banking to your email account to confirm each time your BSNB online account is accessed from a PC or mobile device.
Using a Mobile Device
More customers than ever are turning to the convenience of banking on a mobile device. Some mobile best practices include:
- Never store your password on any mobile device.
- Download a security solution for your device that will work with your operating system to protect against viruses and malware.
- When you log into Mobile Banking, be aware of the people around you. Even if you are speaking on your phone, be careful not to give account numbers or other personal information within earshot of others.
- Monitor your accounts. Check balances and items that are presented on a regular basis. This will help to spot any suspicious activity.
- Don’t access banking or shopping applications using private credentials while connected through public Wi-Fi connections.
- Establish and maintain a security password or PIN to unlock your phone or tablet.
- Don’t ‘jailbreak’ or ‘root’ your phone. These processes bypass the built-in security features of the manufacturer.
If You Lose Your Phone
Using Text Banking
Text banking is the quick and easy way to get account information. Text banking gives you access to your accounts via text (SMS) messages on your phone. Send us a text for the information you need and receive balance and transaction information within seconds. When utilizing text banking, be aware of the following safety tip:
- Frequently delete text messages received from us on your mobile device.
Accessing the Mobile Website
The mobile website provides convenient access to your accounts from your mobile web browser. If you can access the internet, you'll be able to use BSNB's mobile website. When you use the mobile website for online banking, you should take the following steps before sharing your mobile phone with others or before sending it in for repair/maintenance:
- Clear the browsing history.
- Clear cache and temporary files stored in the memory as they may contain your account numbers and other sensitive information.
Using our Mobile App
BSNB’s mobile app is available for Apple iPhone and Android products. When downloading and using the mobile app, be aware of the following for your safety:
- Only download the app from the iTunes App Store or the Google Play Store.
- Sign Off and completely close out of the app when you are finished using it.
Protecting Your Computer
BSNB and our Online Banking service provider employ multiple levels of security to protect your account information and transactions. There are additional methods that you can use as well:
- Keep anti-virus software current. Scan for viruses on a weekly basis, at a minimum.
- Keep your operating system and your Internet browser updated with new releases and the most recent version. These updates and patches will provide increased security. You may use any browser that supports the SSL (Secure Socket Layer) protocol. Most popular browsers support this security feature.
- Do not open email and attachments that are of unknown origin as this is often the source of virus and worm infections.
- Do not click on hyperlinks within websites or email unless you are familiar with the source and sure that it is legitimate. Hyperlinks are often used as a method to download malicious software on your computer.
Enhanced Login Security for Online Banking
Enhanced Login Security helps identify you as the true “owner” of your accounts and online access. Not only will your password be recognized, your computer will be recognized as well. If we don’t recognize your computer (you’ve logged in from a public computer or one you haven’t used before) you will be prompted to provide information that only you will know as an additional line of defense against unauthorized access to your accounts.
Your online security has always been a top priority. That’s why Enhanced Login Security is so important.
Protecting Your Information from Identity Theft
It is the policy of BSNB not to request information that is confidential in nature regarding you or your accounts via normal email or text message. If you receive an unsolicited email or text message that appears to be from BSNB and it requests confidential information, we recommend that you do not respond. If you receive such an email or text message, please contact your BSNB representative.
To reinforce our commitment to online fraud prevention, we've also introduced an easy-to-use Security Toolkit and Online Security Glossary designed to help you understand Online Banking security, your general computer safety, and more.